glade + pidgin

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Tue Apr 7 17:48:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:51:16PM +0200, Qba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use xml files generated by glade inside pidgin?
> I want to write a plugin that has some preety complicated windows, and
> i really don't want to write them by hand (besides, that's ugly, and
> deprecated). So is it possible to use GtkBuilder, libglade stuff in
> pidgin plugin programming?

I think calling writing GTK+ code by hand deprecated is a bit strong.

It should be possible to use GtkBuilder with pidgin, or at least I see no reason it should be possible.

> I experimented for some time with it, and suceeded in invoking the
> window read from the aformetioned glade-xml file, BUT the signals were
> not connected (yes, i used gtk_builder_connect_signals)

You need to make sure gtk_builder_connect_signals is going to work for you
correctly.

That is you need to make sure your symbols are exported correctly and that
the names are set up correctly so that GTK+ can introspect your code and
automatically map signals to callbacks (and that your plugin is linked to
gmodule-export, hopefully only your plugin needs that and not all of
pidgin). Or at least this is my very rough quess at what your problem
might be given my two minute glance at the GtkBuilder documentation.

> thanks
> Kuba

    -Etan