Changes to our IM formatting

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Aug 4 12:43:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:01 AM, Will Thompson<will at willthompson.co.uk> wrote:
> Mark Doliner wrote:
>> So over the past few days I made some changes to the way we parse
>> incoming Yahoo IMs so that we are now able to send pt sizes to
>> libpurple using <span style="font-size: 10pt"> instead of <font
>> size="3">.  Currently this only happens if libpurple is compiled with
>> the USE_CSS_FORMATTING define,
>
> I think this has been mentioned before, but: if this is a build-time
> option, then either UIs that don't understand CSS will break when the
> distro's libpurple package is upgraded, or libpurple packages will be
> built without USE_CSS_FORMATTING and Pidgin won't be able to take
> advantage of this.

Yeah, Stu mentioned this a few days ago.  I'm not too concerned with
making it a run-time option.  I'm fine with sticking with <font> tags
until 3.0.0.  Mostly I just want to make sure the UIs are happy with
this change and that I'm not making a mistake by switching to <span
style=""> tags.  It seems like better HTML helps everyone (I mean,
aside from the UIs that strip HTML).

-Mark