Protocol of skype (skype-pidgin-integration)

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Aug 4 22:52:26 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner wrote:
> We've talked about whether the Skype PRPL is a GPL violation on this
> mailing list a few times in the past.  We tend to think it is not
> technically a violation, but some Pidgin developers are unhappy with
> the plugin because it basically depends on a closed-source Skype
> library/client thingy.

Yes, we've determined that the FSF says it's not a violation in the terms of the
GPL v2.  I don't think anyone is presently disputing that, although I still
think a lawyer needs to read the Skype API license before evaluating the
plugin's GPL compatibility.  The terms of use of the Skype API are ridiculous
and, in my opinion, should make any use of said API incompatible with the GPL.

John