Privacy Rewrite GSoC Project

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Aug 6 01:51:41 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> One problem with our current privacy system is that for AIM the block
> list is only active when your state is "block only the users below,"
> but for MSN the block list is always in effect regardless of your
> state.  For this difference in behavior there is no difference in UI.
> It is impossible to infer the behavior of these lists from our UI, and
> that offers a confusing experience to the user.
>
> Does the new system attempt to correct this?

I believe the plan is that, for the new system, if that list contains
*anything*, whatever is in that list is blocked.  If you don't want to
block any users, don't put anything in that list.  We are explicitly
moving away from protocol-specific semantics, and to a single,
coherent interface which is mapped onto the protocols as needed by the
core and prpls in tandem.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.