Jabber vcard icons

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Aug 10 17:44:39 EDT 2009

When libpurple connects to a jabber account we fetch our own vcard.
We call purple_account_set_user_info and inherit the vcard info (first
name, last name, address, title, role, birthday, etc) from the server.
 This happens in jabber_vcard_save_mine in jabber's buddy.c.

However, we don't inherit the buddy icon from the server.  Instead, if
Pidgin has a different icon than the one from your server side vcard
then we call jabber_set_info to override the icon on the server with
our local icon.

This might be a recent change.  It might only be in trunk and not yet
in a release.  It looks like it is intentional.  My question is,
should it be?  I kind of see the rationale for wanting to have a
different icon in each location where you log into your jabber
account, but you really only have one vcard, and it is meant to
describe your person, not your location.  It seems like Pidgin should
inherit the vcard icon from the server, instead.

What do other people think?

-Mark