Sort by Log Size

Aly Hirani alyhirani at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 14:41:39 EDT 2009

Hello Everyone,

This is in regards to the recent log subsystem change made to
incorporate the new blist sorting mechanism of "recent activity".
Related links:
http://pidgin.im/pipermail/support/2009-August/005043.html and
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/5447.

While the newer sorting mechanism might be good at what it is meant to
do, I find myself completely agreeing with Jim's initial arguments. The
recent log activities has shuffled the sorting order a few times. As a
person who likes his contact list to be sorted "relatively the same"
(minor changes over a long period of time is still acceptable), I find
myself missing the older "sort by log size" functionality. I did sit
down last night and hacked a patch to enable both, sort by log size and
sort by recent activity. So, I guess my question is, are there any
fundamental objections to integrating both the features into Pidgin?

Regards,
Aly Hirani

PS: Please CC me all the replies since I am not subscribed to the devel list