More than just a plugin

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Dec 17 12:12:00 EST 2009

Andrew Seed spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> I think I can make this easy for you:  Your plugin MUST be licensed
>> with a GPL-compatible license.  Therefore, it must be open source.
>>
>> I sense that this is not the case, which means that your plugin is a
>> violation of the GPL and it cannot be distributed.  The fact that you
>> have gone ahead and distributed the binary means that you are legally
>> obligated to provide the source of your plugin to anyone who
>> downloaded it.
>
> I was going to add on my original mail that all the code would be
> available upon request and with a GPL-compatible license.

Then there's no problem whatsoever, change what you want.  If the
changes are useful to others, or you think can potentially be made
useful to others, pass them upstream and we'll incorporate them so you
don't have to manage the patches.

I guess I don't understand what your original question was, if you
already understand that you have to ship the source.

By the way, I'm requesting the source for your plugin with this email;
I downloaded the binary this afternoon.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.