A crash reporter

Casey Ho pidgin at caseyho.com
Wed Feb 11 18:03:37 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> * Shouldn't pidgin_crash_minidump_print() be declared in a .h file?

Yes.

> * Is there a reason for using the file extensions .cc and .cpp for c++
> files?

Nope, writing cpp was just a reflex.

> * I agree with John and Richard that it would be nice if we could use
> a library standalone library instead of including all the crash
> reporting code itself (whether it be Breakpad or apport or something
> else), even if that library isn't included in many Linux
> distributions.

I'll see what I can do to get it as a library.  That would actually
help because that means compiling on Windows would be infinitely
saner.

> * Does the current diff just print to stdout?  Does the
> "crashreporter" program exist?  Is that a part of Breakpad?

The current diff writes a file to the working directory (maybe it
should go to .purple?).  The crashreporter program is not part of
breakpad, and I should probably rename it to pidgincrashreport or
something.

> * What happens to the crash report?  Will the user be prompted to send
> it to us or something?  Do we need something set up on our servers to
> accept incoming crash reports?  And if so, is it possible for the
> crash reports to contain private user data?  And if so how will we
> make sure only trusted devs have access tot he crash reports?

For a V1, I was imagining a tool that would simply provide basic
feedback to the user and a local dump.  For V2, it would be great it
we could set something up like http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/, but
that will be a lot more work.  I was thinking a V2 version might even
make a good SoC project (TBD).

-Casey