How to change Pidgin's chat log directory?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 16 18:39:23 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 04:01 +0800, Michael Lee wrote:
> I love archiving chat logs on different drive or partition and
> sometimes perpetually.
> However it does not seem that I can change the directory where Pidgin
> chat logs are stored. There has to be a trick to do that. Someone
> cares to give a hint?

If you're on Unix, make a symlink. (But read on...)

If you're on Windows, set PURPLEHOME to be the place where you want
your .purple directory created. (This is in the FAQ.) There is no way to
move only your logs directory to any arbitrary location on Windows.

If you really have some requirement to move logs but not the rest of
your .purple, please let me know. I ran into a really obscure corner
case at work the other day, but then realized there was a way to achieve
the result I wanted without adding special functionality to Pidgin.

Richard