How to change Pidgin's chat log directory?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 16 19:38:33 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 16:26 -0800, Ibrahim Awwal wrote:
> Ben Bridts wrote:
> > Richard Laager wrote:

> >> If you're on Unix, make a symlink. (But read on...)
> >>
> >> If you're on Windows, set PURPLEHOME to be the place where you want
> >> your .purple directory created. (This is in the FAQ.) There is no way to
> >> move only your logs directory to any arbitrary location on Windows.
> >>

> > Unless if your using Vista on a NTFS-partition. Then you're also able to make symlinks.
> >

> Actually, NTFS has had support for junctions, which for this purpose are
> equivalent to symlinks, since Windows 2000. See wikipedia for more
> information.

Since this comes up every time...

Junctions don't support network locations. It appears that the NTFS
symlinks will, but I've never used them. The wikipedia article says that
the target computer has to support symlinks (which means Vista or
later), but I'm not sure exactly what that affects (UNC paths vs. mapped
drives, for example).

Richard