Making Pidgin small-screen-friendly

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Thu Feb 19 16:16:58 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:48:36AM -0800, Casey Ho wrote:
> 2009/2/19 Michael Terry <michael.terry at canonical.com>:
> > Hello, gentle Pidgin developers!
> >
> > I'm from Ubuntu land, and I was investigating how to make Pidgin fit on
> > tiny netbook screens as part of our Ubuntu Netbook Remix project [1].  A
> > common screen size is 1028x576 (the current hot spot price-wise with
> > manufacturers, but the trend is ever smaller), with some of that taken
> > up by panels; we're hoping to fit in ~520-540 vertical pixels.
>
> While not all of your suggestions will fly, I agree the prefs window
> should be made shorter.
>
> Other devs, if there are no objections to
> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/7548 I'd like to commit it.

My only comments are to repeat what I said on that ticket. I would much
sooner move that font pref to the Interface page then I would to the
Smiley Theme page. Even more I would love if we could remove that
preference entirely and either always use the document font (only
currently fetched when using gconf) or never use the document font.

Personally, I lean towards never using it because I don't think it should
be up to applications to do that sort of thing. If someone is using gconf
then the GTK+ theme setup should have that font set as the font for
'document' GTK+ widgets.

    -Etan