yahoo's authentication method

Al Cohen al_cohen at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:14:29 EST 2009

Hi John,

Please see my replies below.

> > 2) Does TRY_WEBMESSENGER_LOGIN really works? Can someone tell me the
> > pros/cons on using this vs the other two yahoo_process_auth_old/new?
>
> This worked the last time we needed it. Logging in via web messenger disables
> almost all the useful features, though, as the web client supports only
> messaging and available/busy statuses. Using a normal login method is preferable.

Can you be more specific regarding the 'useful features'?

I thought webmessenger has most of the basic stuffs: send/receive im, im notification, add/delete buddy stuffs, contact list, and online presence.

What I like about webmessenger is it has an online archive solution. Desktop clients don't have this.

> > Lastly, I notice in Yahoo 9.x, it talks to scs1.msg.yahoo.com instead of
> > YAHOO_PAGER_HOST "scs.msg.yahoo.com". When I change to scs1 in my pidgin,
> > I cannot login. What's going on?
>
> The last time I used Yahoo 9 it connected to one of the following servers in
> random succession:
>
> cs101.msg.sp1.yahoo.com - cs130.msg.sp1.yahoo.com
> cs101.msg.ac4.yahoo.com - cs130.msg.ac4.yahoo.com
>
> Yahoo 9 uses YMSG protocol version 0x10 (16), which has an entirely different
> authentication mechanism involving an HTTPS request to login.yahoo.com. Trying
> to connect to the servers Yahoo 9 uses won't work because they don't listen for
> the legacy login packets.

Nice info. Thanks!