Collecting feature requests

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Sat Jan 3 09:00:38 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 07:39:53PM -0600, Kevin Stange wrote:
> Kevin Stange wrote:
> > Casey Ho wrote:
> >> Note: The new site runs Drupal, which means we can extend this in the
> >> future.  On the downside, Drupal is resource intensive (Sean already
> >> pointed this out).  I went with Drupal+Brainstorm because it was the
> >> only available open source solution.
> >
> > One of our goals has been to avoid making the web site too complicated
> > so as to avoid generating extra load on our servers, which have limited
> > processing power.  It's the reason I rewrote the site and killed off the
> > former CMS our designer had given us.  I don't want to be using any CMS
> > infrastructure if we can avoid it.
>
> Let me clarify that I mean I don't want to be using any CMS when it's
> not necessary, and I consider Trac and the IM Freedom Wiki necessary for
> their functions, but since Trac performs the function that this new
> software does, it seems unnecessary.
>
> Kevin

I have seen first hand how badly drupal does when a site gets under
load.  I am not happy with our running it.  But I agree that the
functionality itself might give our users a way to interact with us that
many of them would prefer.

The trac plugin at http://www.trac-hacks.org/wiki/VotePlugin looks like
it would do this.  However, it requires an environment upgrade, which
seems to crash when I run it.  Perhaps Daniel can figure out what it is
that I am missing.

Luke