OTR in Pidgin?

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue Jan 13 04:21:48 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:08 -0800, Casey Ho wrote:
> As the survey results indicated, encrypted IM support is as popular as
> VV support [1].
>
> How do you all feel about including the OTR plugin by default in Pidgin?

(are there OTR developers on this list?)

1) Is the pidgin-otr plugin actively developed? Is OTR itself actively
developed? What kinds of things does it break? I've heard that it breaks
IM images, and maybe custom smileys as well? Are there plans to make
things not break?

2) I don't think we should just go out and "adopt" something if their
developers don't want to push to us. Being included also means it's
subject to many restrictions that we have such as library dependencies,
release schedules, etc. I can see that not everyone wants to go through
that.

3) If it's really in that much demand, why don't people ask distros to
include it by default? I think that's the best way to give what the
users want without having to somehow have 2 groups that never really
interacted work together.

-khc