libpurple theme support improvements

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 03:57:51 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> The sound theme has been designed and reviewed by more parties than
>> Pidgin's theme, so my bet is that is that it's better designed.
>
> The pidgin theme's were not designed for anything in particular except
> to emulate our existing systems and allow alternatives systems, like
> this spec, which can easily be done by someone who has the time to write
> a plugin.

I know.

Maybe you are still not understanding my point so I'll repeat it: I'm
accusing you
of not being interested on dropping "your way" and use a freedesktop
standard by default.

I understand your theme system *allows* _alternative_ systems, I'm not
saying it doesn't. I'm saying there's a collaborative way of doing
things (play well with others, follow specs) and there's an
individualistic way (do things your own way); you are not interested
in playing well with others, that's it.

Following the ODF example, when Microsoft pushed the OpenXML format
they where not 'playing well with others' even though they *allowed*
ODF as an _alternative_ format.

--
Felipe Contreras