pidgin.next.minor: 9e31989c: A patch from Chris Connett to change the...

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Jan 26 00:28:44 EST 2009

I'd like to call everyone's attention to this patch I just committed
to .next.minor:

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 23:35 -0500, rlaager at pidgin.im wrote:
> Revision: 9e31989cbbfb97087f98e6a64e1da18efa3c3f54
> Branch: im.pidgin.pidgin.next.minor

> A patch from Chris Connett to change the log size sorting method to weight
> logs by date.  In other words, to sort them by *recent* activity as opposed
> to total log size.
>
> Fixes #5447

Here's the relevant description from #5447:

        It implements a new buddy list sorting method. Buddies are
        sorted by their recent activity, i.e., how much text you have
        exchanged recently.

        It works similarly to the log size sorting method, but instead
        of counting number of bytes in a particular conversation, it
        counts bytes in the conversation decayed exponentially by age,
        with a half-life of 14 days. Thus, people you've started talking
        to a lot in recent days will climb to the top of the buddy list.
        Since recent text counts more, new friends you've been talking
        with recently will claim the top spots, instead of the person
        you've known a long time and who has the largest log.

Note, the patch as committed *replaces* the existing sort method. I'm
especially interested to know how people feel about that.

Richard