[Fwd: Re: Optimize jabber_id_new()]

Marcus Lundblad marcus.lundblad at curalia.se
Wed Jul 1 03:38:32 EDT 2009

I accidentally replied only to Jan...

-------- Vidarebefordrat meddelande --------
> Från: Marcus Lundblad <ml at update.uu.se>
> Till: Jan Kaluza <hanzz.k at gmail.com>
> Ämne: Re: Optimize jabber_id_new()
> Datum: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 09:18:43 +0200

> > In Czech Republic (our language uses non-ascii characters) people use
> > in almost 100% cases ascii JIDs, because they are used to do it
> > because of emails... So I agree with you :).

I'd say the same about Sweden.
Non-ascii domain names, f.ex., there is such things, but it seems to
quite seldome used.
Besides, many have @gmail.com JIDs, and AFAIK, Google's user-ids can
only contain ascii.

Besides, as Jan points out, people are used to such limitations.
So I guess the optimisation makes sense.

//Marcus

> > > I think the patch looks very reasonable - even in the case where it
> > > ends up having to g_utf8_validate(), the new overhead appears to be
> > > very minimal.
> > >
> > > -D

> > Jan "HanzZ" Kaluza

Marcus Lundblad  |  Systems Designer
Phone +46 (0)8 410 064 52
Mobile +46 (0)73 338 62 99
--
Curalia AB  |  www.curalia.se
Hudiksvallsgatan 4, 113 30 Stockholm, Sweden