(Summer of Code) Support for Office Communicator 2007.

Carlos Nunez cnunez at stevens.edu
Thu Jul 9 22:04:46 EDT 2009

To whom it may concern:

Good evening (Eastern Standard)! My name is Carlos Nunez, and I'm a
Computer Engineering student at the Stevens Institute of Technology in
Hoboken, NJ.

In a new (intern) position I started recently, I was familiarized to and
worked with Office Communicator and the Office Communications Service.
As a very happy Pidgin user (AIM and Facebook), I naturally wondered if
Pidgin could interface with OCS, as it uses SIP for messaging. To my
dismay, I found that there is no native support for it, and the last
attempt to get it working was not entirely successful.

What I would like to do is try at starting that up again. I'm not sure
if my limited programming experience will hinder my ability to do this,
but I'm very interested in at least learning the innerworkings of
libpurple and more about how instant messaging works at the protocol
level. I'm willing to do this even if it's not acceptable as a Summer of
Code project for this year.

So what is everyone's thoughts on this? Where is the best place to start
researching? I'm already becoming quickly familiarized with the Office
Communicator API (which plays well in C++).

Thanks in advance for reading, and I look forward to hearing everyone's
opinions!

Kind Regards,

Carlos Nunez
Computer Engineering