Proposed changes for Pidgin 2.7.0

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Tue Jul 14 14:34:15 EDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:18 EDT, John Bailey wrote:

> John Bailey wrote:
>> Now, I ask for a vote from our current developers and Crazy Patch
>> Writers.  I
>> think holding this vote open until we release Pidgin 2.6.0 is a
>> reasonable
>> timeframe within which to cast votes.  To start the voting off, I
>> cast a vote of
>> yes.
>
> I just wanted to provide an update on the voting results so far:
>
> Yes     - 11
> No      - 0
> Neutral - 2
>
> This is a total of 13 people casting votes.  In Pidgin's About box,
> we have a
> total of 29 people who are Developers and Crazy Patch Writers.
> Within just two
> days we've already had nearly half of our people vote.  (I have not
> counted
> votes from people not listed in the Developers or Crazy Patch
> Writers sections
> of the About box).
>
> As I mentioned in the original post that started this thread, I will
> continue to
> keep a tally of the votes and keep the poll open until we release
> 2.6.0.
>
> John

You'd asked for votes from "recent" and/or "active" developers and
CPW, so I'd not responded.  But I think my name's still in the box.

Anyway, we originally said 3 years as something of a compromise
between the level of support that RedHat (and, often, but not as
reliably, Debian) provides in the form of distro support for old
versions, and the very real need to use newer functions.

In the old gtk1 tree, we required 1.2.x where x did have a specific
minimum, I just do not remember it.  I think it entirely reasonable to
discontinue support for very ancient versions of glib, but I think,
minimally, we ought to compile on an out of the box debian stable and
out of the box most recent rhel.  I don't know off the top of my head
what versions these would be.

I think it absolutely critical that we get feedback from our packagers
before any final decision is made.

Luke