help for google talk

Paul Aurich paul at darkrain42.org
Fri Jun 5 16:31:42 EDT 2009

And Alain K spoke on 06/05/2009 10:33 AM, saying:
> Hello,
>
> I am a develloper of the SIP Communicator project and I need help to
> implement the mail notification service for google talk.
> Here http://code.google.com/intl/fr/apis/talk/jep_extensions/gmail.html
> , it is written that after sending your first query in order to know if
> you have an new email, the gmail server send you a query to notify to
> you that you have a new mail.
> I can send the first query but I can't received the query from the server.
> For the moment, I use a timer to send my query to receive a new email
> notification, but the timer seems not to be a good option
> Can you tell what do you do on pidgin?

Pidgin implements the listed JEP. We query for new mail at login and, after
that, we listen for the <iq type='set'><new mail xmlns='google:mail:notify'
/></iq> notification and then query the server (same syntax as at login).

It works for me with my account, but another Pidgin developer was not
receiving the notifications from the server on his account, so there seem
to be issues outside clients' control.

> Regards
> Alain Knaebel

~Paul