Privacy Rewrite GSoC Project

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 14:13:28 EDT 2009

* Sulabh Mahajan had this to say on [16 Jun 2009, 23:31:49 +0530]:
[snip]
> Following structures are used to define the privacy states for an account,
> or a list of these are used by a protocol to specify the supported privacy
> types:
>
> typedef enum _PrivacyStateType
> {
>         ALLOW_ALL = 1,
>         ALLOW_BUDDY_LIST,
>         ALLOW_ALLOW_LIST,
>         BLOCK_ALL,
>         BLOCK_BLOCK_LIST
> } PrivacyStateType;

I would name this PurplePrivacySetting.

> /* The following structure defines what we are allowing or blocking,
> messages or presence or both */
>
> typedef enum _PrivacyStateOf
> {
>         PRIVACY_STATE_MESSAGE = 1,
>         PRIVACY_STATE_PRESENCE,
>         PRIVACY_STATE_BOTH, /* when msg, presence both tied together,
> blocking blocks both */
>         PRIVACY_STATE_EITHER /* when msg, presence can be blocked separately
> for a contact */
> } PrivacyStateOf;

I would name this PurplePrivacyContext (like PurplePresenceContext).

(am I nitpicking a bit too much? O:-) )

[snip: replied in another thread]

> MUC needs to be discussed, please feel free to write any idea you have
> regarding privacy in MUC.

We should use PurpleConvChatBuddy's for this. We don't currently save
any information about the buddies anywhere. Perhaps for the privacy
settings (and I assume it's only possible to block/ignore messages in
MUC, and not the presence), we could store them in a conversation.xml. Or
even perhaps in the relevant PurpleChat entry in the blist.xml, but that
brings up an issue where the chat is not added in the buddy list.

Apologies for the delayed reply .. I was waiting for the weekend, and
then waiting for some free time! O:-)

Sadrul