Haskell Bindings

Eric Polino aluink at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:42:14 EST 2009

Greetings all:

For those of you who remember me, "Hello, how's life?".  For those who
don't, "Hello, how's life?".  I'm about to graduate with my undergrad
and would love to do another SoC.  What better organization could I
choose to work with, other than the one I worked with before.  I've
been talking with Sadrul about ideas regarding finch, since that's
what I worked on before.  But it seems that in lieu of the good work
put out last summer, and the continuous fine work that's been put into
Finch in general, there isn't much of a project there right now.

There are many smalls things, but nothing to form a core problem to
base a project on.  I've thought of piecing a project together from
the small pieces left that need work, but that makes for a week
project.  Then again, sometimes the small things are what is
important.

In the last 6 months or so, I've been doing a bit of Haskell work and
have thought of working with them as a backup plan.  Then, when I got
thinking, can't I write Haskell bindings for lib{purple|gnt}.  That
would allow people to write IM applications, and gnt apps,
respectively, in Haskell.  Then I thought of it further, why can't I
write a generic gobject -> Haskell binding generator(BG).  Maybe the
generic BG is a bit out of the scope of the Pidgin codebase, but the
purple/gnt bindings surely aren't.  Sadrul has already admitted he
thinks it's kinda cool.  So yeah, this is an idea.  What do you all
think?

Cheers!
Eric

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free."
                                      --Goethe

"Freedom is living without government coercion."
                   --Ron Paul (www.ronpaul2008.com)