Pidgin, Enterprise Instant Messenger?

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Fri Mar 6 12:12:40 EST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:39, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2009-03-03, 02:07 GMT, Eusoj Xirdneh wrote:
> > xmpp server,
> > all my clients are in different part of the world, so i dont know how
> slow
> > it would be.
>
> If you have at least half-decent Internet connection to your
> server, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be as fast as
> talking with proprietary servers which are also located somewhere
> on the other side of the world (ICQ, AIM, Y!M).

Hi.

Public servers are not always acceptible: Some companies want to ensure that
the whole discussion is private -- whether you're competing with Microsoft
or Google's business, or not.  As well, some entities need to record IM
conversations as well for legal archive.  Finally, it sucks making firewall
rules that are defeated with a backtracking direct-connection to send
malicious software.

I've found that OpenFire is a functional XMPP server, best if you have only
one geographical location (I don't much like their clustering).  I've used
LDAP-defined groups there so that all employees added to the corporate
subtrees are automatically populated into the users' IM.  OpenFire is a Java
stack.  I've used it with 379 users in LDAP.  The Linux RPMs have good
productization.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/

my notes:
http://tech.b.chickenandporn.com/2008/08/18/recompile-openfire-to-defend-against-adium-126-issue/
  (tiny:  *http://tinyurl.com/asel2n  )*

sample thread: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/35202

A side-benefit of OpenFire is that it allows Gateways to other IMs; I
connect (XMPP) to a single OpenFire (ie allanc at example.com) and it creates
proxies for the other services (ie aim.example.com, yahoo.example.com,
msn.example.com) and populates my MSN connections (mike at hotmail.com) as
these services (mike\40hotmail.com at msn.example.com).  One XMPP connection,
but I can chat with my connections on other services.  This allows
firewalling to protect all employees, yet allow the OpenFire server to
connect to the various chat servers, blocking any kind of backtracking by
malicious code.

Allan