Pidgin on MacOSX

Albert Zeyer albert.zeyer at rwth-aachen.de
Wed Mar 11 17:45:52 EDT 2009

Dear list,

I ported Pidgin to MacOSX. I basically used the native Gtk+ framework
(most work was done by Richard Hult) and fixed it to make it possible
to embed that framework in the MacOSX app bundle. My goal was to build
a standalone app bundle which just works without any other
dependencies. I achieved this goal and created a compressed DMG
containing that app.

I also applied this patch (for a small icon in the menu bar):
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/pidgin/files/gtkdocklet-quartz.diff

And I finally did some further patches to Pidgin to have some more
natural MacOSX feeling.

I also included some further plugins, including OTR, Facebookchat and
Gfire to Pidgin.

All that work, including the Xcode project files and all other
necessary things to build it yourself, a ready DMG-image containing
the app-bundle for download, can be found now at this SourceForce
project:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pidgin-macosx/

You can checkout the SVN to have everything you need for building,
also including the frameworks. You can also see all my changes to the
Pidgin source in SVN:
http://pidgin-macosx.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pidgin-macosx/

This is the changelog for the latest release:

 From first release (Pidgin 2.5.4 ver1) to current (Pidgin 2.5.5 ver2):
- fixed some bugs in the Gtk+ framework to make
   it working bundled in an app-bundle
- statically linked in most official Pidgin plugins
   (but extended Pidgin source that not all of them are
   loaded by default)
- build own Gtk+ framework from Gtk+ SVN trunk
- MacOSX notify support (the icon jumps on a new message
   or any other event; that is the pidgin_set_urgent
   function)
- OTR plugin builtin (based on Pidgin OTR 3.1.0)
- added SSL support (builtin GnuTLS 2.6.4)
- updated Pidgin source to 2.5.5
- Facebookchat plugin builtin
- Gfire plugin builtin

It can be downloaded here:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=255953&package_id=313578

If you have any questions, please CC me as I am not registered in the
pidgin-devel mailinglist.

Regards,
Albert