Pidgin summer of code organization application

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Mar 12 03:37:35 EDT 2009

2009/3/10 John Bailey <rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org>:
> Ethan Blanton wrote:
>> Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
>>> 1. Anyone want to be the backup organization admin?  I'm not sure if
>>> it's required on this form, but it would be good to have anyway.
>>> Daniel?  Sadrul?  Luke?  Ethan?  I just need someone's link_id from
>>> http://socghop.appspot.com/ (you'll have to create a user profile for
>>> yourself, it's ridiculously easy).
>>
>> I can do it if need be, let me know.  I'm not going to fight anyone
>> for it, though, so if someone else wants to dive in, go for it.  I
>> simply don't want to see anything flounder for lack of a volunteer.
>
> I can do it as well.  My link_id is rekkanoryo.
>
>> I would like to see a proposed timeline of some sort.  I think it
>> helps if the students think about how much effort various tasks will
>> require.
>
> I agree with this and what Ka-Hing said in his reply.  I'd also like to see some
> sort of indication that the students have a grasp of the basics of at least
> libpurple, plus anything that would be helpful for the project (for example,
> relevant Windows API's for the win32 UI project, protocol analysis for
> ICQ-related stuff, etc).  The student should also explain how he/she intends to
> be involved in our "community" before, during, and after the project.

Congrats John!  You're the backup admin!  Hopefully I'll be out of
town from May 2nd to May 9th biking from San Francisco to LA, but
other than that I don't plan on going anywhere.

And I think I've incorporated yous guyses feedback into something that
is still template like and somewhat open ended.  We can always change
it later.  Here's what it looks like now:

WHAT IS YOUR PROPOSED PROJECT?
I want to...
Difficult parts of this project will be...
My proposed timeline for starting/finishing the various pieces of this
project is...

WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK ON THIS PROJECT?
I like this project because...

WHY SHOULD WE CHOOSE YOU?
I will be do an amazing job finishing this project because...
(familiar with libpurple already, you wrote a book on networking,
you've been programming with glib or MS Windows APIs since you were 6
years old, you'll be locked in a room with nothing to do except
program, etc.)

PLEASE LIST RELEVANT ACADEMIC, INDUSTRY AND/OR OPEN SOURCE EXPERIENCE
What have you learned in school, where have you worked, have you
contributed to open source before, favorite programming language,
preferred development environment, etc.  Especially experience and
knowledge that you think will be important for your proposed project.

ANYTHING ELSE?
Feel free to include any other information you think is important.