Main BList vs Accessors

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Mar 19 14:08:24 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> 2009/3/15  <aluink at gmail.com>:
> > Moreover, if we only expect clients to work with a single PurpleBuddyList,
> > why do PurpleBlistUiOps pass a list pointer if it's always the same list?
>
> I think the buddy list code was some of the first code that was
> rewritten to be core/UI split, and the buddy list code is pretty
> complicated in general.  I think at some point is was thought that
> maybe some clients would want to have two or more buddy lists.  But I
> think we've realized that there's really no reason for that and it
> makes the code more complicated, so we should probably simplify the
> API for 3.0.0 and consistently allow for only one buddy list.

There was somebody in #pidgin a while back who said he had several
users running out of the same libpurple in some sort of jabber
transport, it would be worth finding out if his [patched] libpurple
uses multiple blists or not.  Does anyone have contact information
from that exchange?

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.