libpurple crashing since 18 months

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 12:05:22 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Sascha Vogt <FunkyFish at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please note: I'm just a Pidgin user, no developer nor anyhow related to
> the Pidgin project, apart from reading the mailing-lists.
>
> Thorsten schrieb:
>>> and bugs are fixed through bug tracker, not by direct communication
>>
>> I filed my bug report  #7621 in November 2008, and the first reply came
>> in January, but nothing happened since then, so it is 4 months old and
>> just sits there. Do you call *THIS* fixing bugs?
> You were asked for a valgrind log. This question has never be answered.
> Do YOU call this communicating?

That was requested 23 hours ago.

>> Or even caring for bugs? Do you ever hope to get a stable release done? Maybe in the year
>> 2025 or so?
> Pidgin is stable for me (WITH MSN). So what's your point. I'm using it
> 24/7 for at least 2 months without a single crash.
>
>> It does not matter whether a bug is reported by e-mail or on a website.
>> But it matters if someone cares for it. And caring for bugs means to
>> communicate. You have not only a defect library, you have also a defect
>> bug-fixing system.
> And you're soley here for trolling and nothing else, just wasting time,
> which could be spent actually working on Pidgin...

Please refrain from calling names.

> Note: Pidgin is working for most of it's users. If YOU have a problem
> with it, then YOU should fix it (even more, as you're a developer). You
> are using libpurple for something which wasn't on the focus when
> developing it, so you might need to tweak it a little or help improving
> it (with patches).

Look at the number of bugs, he is not the only one having issues.

Depending on your system and usage it might work perfectly, some
people have different systems (slow connections), and different usage
(more friends). Are you implying the people with slow connections
should fix the issues they have themselves?

The issues would not be there if the software was of good quality.

> Note2: Meebo uses libpurple as well, and don't tell me, you're having
> more users than them...

The fact that Meebo uses libpurple doesn't imply the don't have issues with it.

--
Felipe Contreras