writing a gtk plugin for pidgin

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Thu Mar 26 13:52:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:46:40AM -0400, arun kumar wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i need to write a gui for a plugin where the user is allowed enter
> some data and that is stored in the plugin. But im new to gtk. so
> please tell  me where to start... the plugin is similar to the text
> replacement plugin shipped with pidgin
>
> cheers,
> arun

If your plugin functions similarly to an existing plugin perhaps looking
at how the existing plugin creates its UI might be a good start.

That being said unless you have need for a UI as relatively complicated as
that presented by the text replacement plugin you may want to look at
something simpler to start with.

If all you need is a simple set of fields backed by preferences then you
might be best served by looking at the psychic and/or statenotify plugins,
which use the PurplePluginPref API to create a UI-toolkit-neutral
interface.

    -Etan