GSoC '09 idea

Sara Melnick smelnic2 at u.rochester.edu
Sun Mar 29 22:16:55 EDT 2009

I have an idea that I think would make  great GSoC project, but I've
run into a problem due to licensing and I am interested in suggestions
of either solutions or similar, alternative projects.  I would like to
create a Cocoa Touch port of libpurple that runs without jailbreaking
the hardware.  Currently, there exists an iPhone/iPod Touch port but
it requires the hardware to be cracked (I'm not sure what it's written
in because I can't find the source code on the site).  The problem, as
I see it, is that the iPhone SDK Terms of Use essentially dictates
that GPL software cannot be ported to Cocoa Touch.

Apple: "If Your Application includes any FOSS, You agree to comply
with all applicable FOSS licensing terms. You also agree not to use
any FOSS in the development of Your Application in such a way that
would cause the non-FOSS portions of the SDK to be subject to any FOSS
licensing terms or obligations."

GPL: [Complete source code must be available] "For an executable work,
complete source code means all the source code for all modules it
contains, plus any associated interface definition files..."

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Sara Melnick
University of Rochester: Computer Science '11