GSOC' 09 project proposal

mahendra panpalia panpaliamahen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 01:22:41 EDT 2009

Hello ALL,

I have submitted my Application to GSOC/pidgin as below.
O am not sure about it
Please provide your feedback/suggestions, which might strengthen the
application.

WHAT IS YOUR PROPOSED PROJECT?

I want to design a PGP keys (digital signature) based instant messenger
interoperable using pidgin. It is not only serverless but also most secure.
This messenger will not use any central server which may monitor your
chat/message. It will also have feature of link-cloud and user can share a
URL with all of his friends. For more details please refer
http://retromessenger.sourceforge.net/.  Difficult parts of this project
will be compiling code for all the operating system and making them run.  My
proposed timeline for starting/finishing the various pieces of this project
is 3 months. Milestone/projet timesheet will be

(1) Designing User interface (15 days)

(2) Writting code(functional handler) in c++ and integrating with retroshare
library (30 days)

(3) Integrating with pidgin (45 days).
WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK ON THIS PROJECT?

I have been using pidgin since long and seen most of the messenger working
with it

but the  project/instant messenger i want to work with is first serverless
and most secure way of chatting on internet. It will be great learning to
work with innivative idea and people.

WHY SHOULD WE CHOOSE YOU?

I will be doing an amazing job finishing this project because i have been
working with this kind of idea by last more then 6 months. I have been lead
programmer/developer with retromessenger and have learnt a lot about open
source tools like wxWidgets, QT, C++, user interface design etc And now i
want to learn more by integrating retromessenger to pidgin and i am very
much competent and confident of finishing this project with in deadline. I
have been consulting with PGP key inventor Phil Zimmermann.

Even after project finished, i will be active developer to project and will
help project by fixing reported bugs.

PLEASE LIST RELEVANT ACADEMIC, INDUSTRY AND/OR OPEN SOURCE EXPERIENCE

I have been working in software industry for 3 years. I have worked with
comapnies like LG, Samsung for mobile software application. I have been
working with mentioned open source projects (http://retromessenger.sf.net)
and (http://dooble.sf.net).

ANYTHING ELSE?

Please refer the URL http://retromessenger.sf.net