Can the current pidgin support file transfer for gtalk?

Marcus Lundblad ml at update.uu.se
Tue Mar 31 12:06:37 EDT 2009

sön 2009-03-29 klockan 12:16 -0400 skrev John Bailey:
> ma mike wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to know whether it can or not, especially between different
> > gtalk client.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> No.  Currently libpurple lacks jingle file transfer support.  One of our Crazy
> Patch Writers is working on adding jingle ft support, but that probably won't be
> mergable for a while.

Hi!

The code I'm working on implements the currently experimenal Jingle
specification for file transfers, specifically using the transport
methods for socks5 bytestreams and IBB (in-band-bytestreams) as a
fallback transport.

Among the benefits of this is it will allow for the receiving side to
act as "server" (ie. the listening side), which is beneficial if the
receiver has a public IP, or port-mapping support, f.ex.
Also it will hopefully be fairly easy to add support for other future
transport methods, potentially improving NAT traversal abiliets, as well
as providing encryption later on.

I believe the protocol Google uses is their own, possibly similar to the
one they use for voice and video. It might be able to use libjingle
(from Google) for this, but I haven't looked into that at all.

//Marcus