Pidgin Crashes

Sam Hawkin gvrtest at gmail.com
Thu May 14 02:37:07 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I using pidgin to send messages, I am trying it
out in head less mode.
I noticed that it was crashing in between.

Before restarting I have looked for any old instances
running, but I could not find none and I restarted afresh.

I am following below steps to start pidgin in head less mode.

1) If dbus session is not present.

eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`

2) If Xvfb is not present.

  Xvfb :1 -screen 0 800x600x24&

3)
export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0
DISPLAY=localhost:1.0 pidgin -c Yahoo! -m &

Can any one suggest us what might be the problem, and possible solution to
it.

Below is the debug messages from gdb.
   [root at srv1 ~]# gdb pidgin
   GNU gdb Fedora (6.8-27.el5)
   License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <
http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

   There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show
copying"
   and "show warranty" for details.
   This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...
   (gdb)  handle SIGPIPE nostop noprint
   Signal        Stop      Print   Pass to program Description
   SIGPIPE       No        No      Yes             Broken pipe
   (gdb) run
   Starting program: /usr/local/bin/pidgin

- Ignored:
   [New Thread 0xb7f5c6d0 (LWP 31075)]

   (pidgin:31075): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_get_name: assertion
   `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
   Pidgin 2.5.4

   ** (pidgin:31075): WARNING **: cannot open display: unset

   Program exited with code 01.
   (gdb)

Thanks.