Clickable links in MXit

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Nov 25 20:11:41 EST 2009

Daniel Atallah wrote:
> Pidgin 2.6.0 added the "gtk_imhtml_class_register_protocol" function
> that can be used to register a URI handler internally to the GtkIMHtml
> that is used for the GUI.
>
> You can use that to associate links of a particular type (I would
> suggest using a completely internal prefix, not something you would
> ever want to have an external process pass into pidgin) to your own
> protocol handler.
>
> Don't forget to unregister the protocol handler
> (gtk_imhtml_class_register_protocol(proto, NULL, NULL)) when your
> plugin is unloaded .

Note that the plugin in question here is a prpl, and thus isn't allowed to use
pidgin-specific functions like gtk_imhtml_* (otherwise the plugin wouldn't work
for Adium, Finch, Instantbird, Vulture, Meebo, etc).  If a custom gtkimhtml url
handler for mxit is necessary, it would require the use of a second,
pidgin-specific plugin.  Again because a prpl can't depend on a specific UI, we
couldn't have the mxit prpl simply depend on this theoretical second plugin, either.

I have a feeling there's really no *good* answer for this situation.

John