"Office Hours" plugin for pidgin/purple - published & linked.

Kyrian kyrian at ore.org
Sat Oct 3 14:51:39 EDT 2009

No response so far to the previous posting, oh well :-(
> So, I saw the need to write a plugin for Pidgin that you can enable to
> automatically log you out of your accounts if you are listed as 'Away'
> and it's outside your configured 'Office Hours'.

Another problem I have hit upon is that I am not quite sure how to
inject comments saying 'automatically logged out by office hours plugin'
into an open conversation/window, or make a pop-up saying that all
active accounts have been logged out, which is necessary to fulfil the
'principal of least astonishment' of the plugin's operation.

I think I've found enough docs to work it out via trial and error, but
any hints would be appreciated.

Otherwise, it seems to work a treat, including its secondary goal of
retaining open windows (so as not to lose conversation content without
having to use the logging plugin), as Pidgin does not close windows
automatically when you're logged out of an account with the Perl API,
which I realise is an undocumented 'feature', and this plugin will rely
on it continuing to be the case, or there to be some option to allow for
it in future.
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins#DevelopmentofThird-PartyPlugins

I have now linked it to the above page, where it looked like it fit
("Accounts and logs" section). I just created a simple Apache directory
index type page with a header, it's not pretty but it will do for now:

http://www.orenet.co.uk/opensource/pidgin-oo/

K.

--
Kev Green, aka Kyrian. E: kyrian@ore.org WWW: http://kyrian.ore.org/
Linux/Security Contractor/LAMP Coder/ISP, via http://www.orenet.co.uk/

Human Rights left unattended may be Removed, or Destroyed, or Damaged
                      by the Security Services.