Carnegie Mellon Students looking for help

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Wed Oct 28 23:51:47 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 04:26:21PM -0400, Anthony Hugh wrote:
<snip>
> 1577:  Sort groups alphabetically.
> 9422:  Sort in "New Instant Message"
> 2434:  Add chatroom buddy to blist by dragging
> 3329:  Autocompletion of screennames with spaces
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony Hugh

I think fixing #3329 would be great, it is an unfortunate limitation at
the moment, but I'm unsure what the best solution to the problem is.
Modifying our matching algorithm to ignore spaces in nicknames for
matching (as suggested by the poster of the ticket) is one reasonable
solution but I wonder if there are others that would also work.

I think #2434 is likely both less helpful (we have a right-click menu item
for Add) as well as harder to do since drag-and-drop is trickier and this
will not work for all chats as the chatroom nickname does not always
contain enough information to actually add the buddy with.

Without looking I'm not at all sure what would be involved in doing #9422.

While I think that there is merit to wanting groups sorted automatically
(#1577) I think that most people tend to have many many fewer groups than
buddies and that managing their sort order by hand is eminently doable.
There are also fewer possible sorting options for groups that I can
imagine people wanting (other than Manual and Alphabetically I can only
really think of By Account and I think that's a bit of a stretch) so I'm
not sure adding the sort of sorting system we have for buddies makes
nearly as much sense (not to mention the added confusion of having two
sorting systems active in the buddy list at one time).

    -Etan