Issue with communicating with a AOL Bot

Lillian Cuthbert lcuthbert at ballistasecurities.com
Thu Oct 29 17:04:14 EDT 2009

I have a AOL Bot, built in java, on top of net.kano.joscar's OSCAR implementation.

It sends messages and it listens for IM messages sent by others.

There are no issues with it sending messages to users on pidgin.

Receiving messages is another story.
When somebody types a reply to a bot-initiated conversation, or when somebody initiates a conversation to the bot AOL account,  the result is the same:
The message is not received by the bot, and no error is seen by the sender.

If I open the pidgin debug window while I initiate such a conversation, I see this:

(15:33:06) oscar: Sending IM, charset=0x0000, charsubset=0x0000, length=16
(15:33:06) oscar: Sent message to ballistaalerts1.

And nothing else; I also see nothing incoming on my bot.

Sending the message from the same account (to the same bot acccont) from AOL directly, not via pidgin, works fine - the bot and the human user can communicate without any issue.

So it is definitely something in sending from pidgin that is causing me grief.
I'm guessing my bot is missing something in its configuration that is causing imcoming pidgin messages to be rejected by the server, but I can't figure out what.

Can anyone offer me some advice about where to look?

DISCLAIMER: Any information contained in this communication is intended for the use of the named individual or entity. All information contained in this communication is not intended or construed as an offer, solicitation, or a recommendation to purchase any security. Advice, suggestions or views presented in this communication are not necessarily those of Ballista Securities, LLC nor do they warrant a complete or accurate statement.

If you are not an intended party to this communication, please notify the sender and delete/destroy any and all copies of this communication. Unintended recipients shall not review, reproduce, disseminate nor disclose any information contained in this communication. Ballista Securities, LLC reserves the right to monitor and retain all incoming and outgoing communications as permitted by applicable law.