Inclusion of MXit plugin into Pidgin

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Sep 1 01:59:19 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner wrote:
> This protocol plugin is different in that it was developed by MXit and
> would be in large by maintained by them.  Because of that I'm ok
> leaving the advertising in in our officially sanctioned
> Pidgin/libpurple.

I'm completely opposed to allowing mandatory (or even opt-out)
advertising into officially sanctioned Pidgin/libpurple releases--even
if they benefit us or IMF.  I'm less opposed to opt-in advertising, but
it's not something I'd really want to see.  In either case, I don't
believe it belongs in a prpl.  Instead, such advertising should be a UI
plugin (or the UI itself if someone wrote an ad-supported UI).

For reference, take a look at our Groupwise plugin.  It was initially
developed and maintained by a Novell employee, and it contains no
advertisements.

John