Inclusion of MXit plugin into Pidgin

Francois Botha igitur at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 03:44:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Ethan Blanton <elb at pidgin.im> wrote:

> As soon as I have to commit a lick of code to fix a bug, or spend time
> helping users, though, I would be likely to remove the advertising
> code while I was in there.  :-P

To me, advertising is against the spirit of Pidgin, but that's a touch feely
thing I can't substantiate.  MXit make millions off their mobile advertising
anyway.

To clear up some legal issues, am I allowed to take MXit's source, remove
the advertising, repackage the plugin (for Windows and other operating
systems) and host it on my own site? Of course I'll provide the modified
source as well.  Or do I have to look at MXit's license for the answer?

regards,
Francois