Inclusion of MXit plugin into Pidgin

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Sep 2 14:13:32 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > If you are not, then the MXit plugin is license-incompatible with
> > Pidgin, and they must either relicense it immediately or cease
> > distribution entirely.
>
> An additional point to consider... it may be possible for the MXit
> servers to have a terms of service that requires the user to connect
> using a client that displays ads.  My opinion is that this would be
> allowed by the GPL, but I think most of us agree that this is against
> the spirit of the license.  This is very similar to the situation with
> the Skype PRPL.

So long as the user can modify the source code to remove those ads
regardless of the TOS, it wouldn't seem to violate the GPL.
Exercising the GPL might simply violate the TOS.

That said, if this *is* in the MXit TOS, I wholly oppose inclusion of
a sanctioned, ad-bearing MXit plugin in Pidgin.  I get the impression
your example was hypothetical, though, so hopefully we don't have to
worry about that.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.