Development process

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:07:40 EDT 2010

I just read this.
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2009-September/002231.html
What do you think about this development process? I know you don't
like scheduled releases (neither do I) but I think it makes sense to
have this development stages being the last one string freeze + final
testing.

I'm not proposing to switch to this very process neither kernel like
process. But I guess we can adapt some of this ideas to pidgin's
actual development process to be less erratic at releasing.

Also I think it would be nice to have some schema about prpl features.
Something like just add mayor prpl changes on minor versions so people
can expect this version to be the bleeding edge releases and micro
just bug fixes. I know this will "limit" us on some way but this limit
can be avoided having minor releases more often.

So in adition to actual schema I suggest:
mayor: API/ABI breakage, remove deprecated stuff, remove public
modules,etc  (done once in a while)
minor: API aditions, libpurple/pidgin feature aditions, prpl feature
aditions (done each time we have some new features ready)
micro: pidgin/libpurple/prpl bug fixes, security releases. (done when
there are bug fixes to be released)

Regards