Implementing a Whiteboard type application.
sanket at sanketagarwal.com
Wed Apr 28 08:29:52 EDT 2010
I have been away from pidgin actively for a while but had a nice idea
recently. I am sure this is not the first time the idea would be discussed
as I have seen a *long* back GSoC proposal on this too!
The idea is to implement a Whiteboard Application Plugin for Pidgin. This
will have functionalities of which I am listing a few:
- Polygons, lines and other geometric figures.
- Extending support to arbitrary shapes.
- Make the chat experience more liberal because simple text can be a
headache sometimes :).
I do realise that there are some *important* issues to handle here:
- The encoding here shall be pivotal. We can't keep a hefty pixel by
pixel information to be sent( that is Suicidal + Stupid )
- A better way could be to use XML ? Which can be still verbose we might
look into JSON ? I was even thinking of looking into how XFIG does it ?
- Again for any effective extension of the whiteboard to more complex
figures like *free lines* the encoding will be very important.
What I would like to know from the community is:
- How important do you think the idea is, rather how much does it excite
- What are the bottlenecks, I am sure amount of data to be transferred
will be considerable. If so what can be the remedies.
- Is there something which was similar BUT drooling in your mind ? It'll
great to hear similar extensions/changes that might make such an idea
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Devel