FYI: 7e159eaa14b0041fcc3ee5783cd1e4f2d039a1a1 (included in pidgin-2.7.2) is unneeded cruft

Yuriy Kaminskiy yumkam at mail.ru
Tue Aug 3 20:35:31 EDT 2010

Hello!
This patch had sense only before pidgin-2.5.8 (seems someone was even more slow
with pushing patches upstream than me :-)).
My patch (included in 2.5.8) fixed this problem in more generic way - now it is
impossible to allocate those "big amount of memory", as *before* allocation
byte_stream_getstr would check for available buffer size (which was already read
from network and allocated [more than once; pidgin is far from being zero-copy
design], and so cannot be "large").
So no wonder you could not reproduce this issue (it *was* very real [with
security implications] issue before, but already fixed [in different way] long
time ago).