[Merge Request] Notify

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:38:01 EDT 2010

* Jorge Villaseñor had this to say on [20 Aug 2010, 13:23:41 -0500]:
> I have done some work to unify the notify API to behave consistent and
> less annoying. The first movement was to group the Pounces in a dialog
> like the mail notifier which add each pounce to the same window.
>
> In the im.pidgin.cpw.masca.notify I have added this same behavior to
> the _error, _info, _warning parts of the API. This way we will have
> only 3 notification windows that will pop-up only at the *first*
> event, this way we can prevent getting a lot of windows with a
> recurrent error, notification, etc like the old issue with msn
> contacts or when trying to get into a xmpp MUC with an already used
> name.
>
> I want to propose to merge that branch to i.p.p to be in the next release.

I am not convinced this change is a good thing, or really necessary. We
discussed about this change a while back (some time in May this year),
I have posted the log here: http://pidgin.im/~sadrul/notify-log.txt

To briefly summarize: there *are* occasions we want the notifications to
popup to the user, so that it is noticeable. In such cases, it is not a
good idea to group it with the rest of the notifications in one dialog.

If there are cases where too many notification dialogs pop up, then
that's likely a bug, and needs to be fixed, but grouping all kinds of
notifications into one dialog is unlikely to be the solution.

Cheers.
Sadrul