Master password

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue Feb 2 01:36:24 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 23:22 +0100, Vivien Bernet-Rollande wrote:
> Hi.
> Some of you probably remember me. I'm the guy who worked on the master
> password Summer of Code project.

Hi! Welcome back!

> A few words on how my code works. It has four main entry points :
> purple_account_get_password_async()
>   try to get the password from account->password
>   try to get the password from the configured keyring
>   pass it to callback

I looked at this a while ago, I am not convinced that this is needed. If
the user is not saving password then we need to do a prompt to ask the
user. Surely if the existing interface works for a request dialog,
there's no reason that it doesn't work for asking the keyring?

> purple_account_set_password_async()
>   set the password from account->password
>   set the password from the configured keyring (if configured to save it)
>   pass possible error to callback

I am not convinced this is needed either. It seems to me that saving to
the keyring should almost never fail, and then there's the question of
what you can possibly do if saving does fail. I am not as against it
though, if you make the UI not close the dialog until the password is
saved ;-)

I am also not particular fond of the way callbacks are set. I just found
the post I wrote last year:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/pidgin/+bug/75850/comments/15 . Ya, I think
it's also better if enabling a keyring plugin automatically enables it
(and disable the other in use keyring, if any, and migrates the
passwords over). I don't remember what I meant by destroy callbacks
though.

-khc