GSoC idea

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Thu Feb 4 16:15:08 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 20:53, Bruno WINTENBERGER <
bruno.wintenberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am currently a student in computer science, in France (First Year at
> ENSIMAG, Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Informatique et de Mathématiques
> Appliquées de Grenoble, a high school which trains its students in Computer
> Sciences and Mathematiques).
>
> I don't want to hide that I am rather interested in participating to the
> Google Summer of Code. Yesterday, I discovered something wonderful while
> using Skype, something that could be a good project. It was the view of my
> brother's screen.
>
> I was thinking of doing it in Pidgin, and adding some special tools as your
> mouse pointer printed on your contact's screen in order to help him to do
> something that requires your help...
>
> Do you think that this is something I can do for the Google Summer of Code
> ?

Hi Bruno;

Skype is discussed every so often; check here:
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/7358  ... this URL has both a ticket with
a web-based way to do it, and a project at
http://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/ with code.

Recall that Skype Protocol is closed-source, so anything done is a case of
maybe working, and then failing after a random point-rev.

Also, take a look at the various attempts to get video into Pidgin -- if
you're thinking of the voice/video portions of Skype.

Allan