One critical security flaw...

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Jan 13 23:27:17 EST 2010

(Apologies, all, but this part of the discussion should be moved to the
development list, which I am now doing.)

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 00:29 -0600, Kevin Stange wrote:
>> Whatever became of the SoC project to add Keyring support to Pidgin? Is
>> it a major bump issue or just unfinished?
>
> Both. I've been hesitant to put in the time to finish off what's left
> when I'm not sure we'd actually cut a 3.0.0. People seem really
> resistant to a major bump for some reason.
>
> Richard

My only reason for being hesitant to rush to 3.0.0 is that I was hoping we could
get gobjectification done for 3.0.0, but I don't see that happening.  In the
interests of Getting Stuff Done(TM), I propose the following:
	* Finish the ICQ X-Status stuff ASAP for 2.7.0 (string freeze
	  for release within 3 days of completed merge).
	* As soon as 2.7.0 is out, create a branch such as
	  im.pidgin.pidgin.2.7.x (I'm open to better names) from the tag
	  of 2.7.0 for future maintenance releases.
	* Once 2.7.x is branched, 2.x.y is API frozen--no new API unless
	  absolutely required to fix a security issue.
	* Once 2.7.x is branched, im.pidgin.pidgin is for 3.0.0 development.
	  All new features, API additions, etc. should happen only on this
	  branch or other branches that will be merged *only* to
	  im.pidgin.pidgin.

Thoughts, better ideas, etc are certainly welcome.

John