GtkIMHtml hack still needed?

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:23:30 EST 2010

The goal for 3.0.0 is to use webkit instead of imhtml. When this is
done this issue (with ton more gtkimhtml bugs) would be gone.

When would be this done? John proposed to release a 2.7.0 and start
working on 3.0.0

On 1/28/10, Andrew Victor <avictor.za at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> In pidgin/gtkconv.c:
>     /* Awful hack to work around GtkIMHtml's inefficient rendering of
> messages with lots of formatting changes.
>      * If a message has over 100 '<' characters, strip formatting
> before appending it. Hopefully nobody actually
>      * needs that much formatting, anyway.
>      */
>     for (bracket = strchr(displaying, '<'); bracket && *(bracket + 1);
> bracket = strchr(bracket + 1, '<'))
>         tag_count++;
>
>     if (tag_count > 100) {
>         char *tmp = displaying;
>         displaying = purple_markup_strip_html(tmp);
>         g_free(tmp);
>     }
>
> ie, If there are more than 100 HTML tags in a message, then all the
> markup is stripped and the raw message is dumped to the conversation
> window.
>
> Is this "hack" still needed with the current GtkIMHtml?
>

> For MXit's Services we're trying to show a more visually appealing
> user-interface using HTML formatting in the conversation window.
> At the moment we have a work-around for the "hack" above
> [libpurple/protocols/mxit/markup.c mxit_show_split_message()] to count
> HTML tags and then try to intelligently split the message into
> multiple messages for the Gtk conversation window.
> A messy solution, but was necessary when it was a 3rd-party plugin.
>
> The "hack" was originally added in the Gaim days (2007-01-18):
> [http://developer.pidgin.im/viewmtn/revision/info/2cca70bad0ff8696e0af15a11855b95e667fd78e]
>

> Is it possible to remove this "hack" from pidgin/gtkconv.c?
>

> Regards,
>   Andrew Victor

Y echas a andar por la ciudad, atraviesas un nuevo canal,
huyes del rojo y azul del neón, vas en busca de algo que huela distinto al amor.