GObjectified Conversations

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Jul 21 22:59:35 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 18:01 -0400, sadrul at pidgin.im wrote:
> PurpleIM is for 1-1 conversations, and PurpleMUC for multi-user
> conversations.

Is it necessary to make this distinction?

It seems to me that this complicates the situation with MSN, where you
can add a third user to a one-on-one conversation at any time. Assuming
this is still possible with the MSN protocol, how are we going to handle
that transition?

If we can avoid this distinction in libpurple, we can leave the UI
decisions to the UI. On the flip side, though, I don't think we want the
UI to represent an IRC/Jabber/etc. room with two users the same way it
represents a one-on-one AIM conversation.

So, perhaps we'll just need a defined way to switch between the two
types? Even so, do we need different objects, or just a bit that flags
what type it is currently?

Richard