project on password security

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed Jul 28 13:04:44 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Bavithra R <bavithra.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> In pidgin messenger there is a problem in password security.
> If we save the password, the account details are being stored in the the XML
> file and that too in the text format.
> Also that corresponding file is present in the system itself.
>
> I think many would have come to know about this issue.
> I would like to take this as my project.I am persueing my final year
> Bachelors degree.
> Is anybody else working on it?
> Or shall I take up this project?Can it be done?
> Please help me by suggesting some ideas on how to start or with any other
> better idea.

Hi Bavithra.  Please make sure you've read
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PlainTextPasswords  To improve this
problem we would like Pidgin to be able to use a password safe or
keyring.  There was a summer of code project in 2008 that made a lot
of progress in this direction, but I don't know what the status is.
Perhaps someone else can chime in with more info...?

--Mark