Detachable libpurple - RPC system

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 10:59:40 EDT 2010

On 06/06/10 06:06, gillou.ray at free.fr wrote:
> I red some docs and tutorial about DBus. It seems to be a good choice
> as it provide # 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. It's well designed and provides a
> good abstraction.

At risk of being accused of spreading lies and sedition: if you're going
to use D-Bus for this, you might consider using Telepathy
<http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/> as your D-Bus API. This doesn't
necessarily entail not using libpurple as the protocol implementation
backend, or Pidgin as the UI: I wrote a Telepathy connection manager
daemon wrapping libpurple (named telepathy-haze) a few SoCs ago, and
Felix Kerekes wrote a Telepathy prpl last SoC.

Both Haze and prpl-telepathy would certainly need some work for this to
work perfectly — there are some edges of the libpurple API that aren't
hooked up, and features like multi-user chats — but using a pre-existing
D-Bus API, and implementations of both sides of that API, would probably
save you repeating a lot of work.

Regards,
--
Will